Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wednesday Morning

So this is a fun thing. Here is a video/photo montage of the practice I led on Labor Day in Portland when we were inaugurating Alison's studio, Abhaya. Diana Sell who is a great photographer did the stills and a friend/colleague of hers, Carl, did the video footage. Have a gander, leave a comment and enjoy!

In other news, Mark and Hannah are offering a workshop at Castle Hill this Saturday 3:30-5:30. Here is the link for that: http://www.castlehillfitness.com/calendar.php#event221. Mark and Hannah are both great practitioners, fantastic teachers and wonderful people. (Not necessarily in that order!) So don't miss it.

I got a lot done yesterday. In addition to some business things I took care of, I managed to get a big head start on packing for my upcoming trips and I even unpacked some of my fall clothes and put away some of the super-summery stuff. This should guarantee a return to warmer temperatures!

My 4:30 class was super fun. I worked with a sequence that was inspired by one Abhijata (Mr. Iyengar's granddaughter) taught when we were in Pune:

  • Child's pose
  • AMS
  • Uttanasana
  • Surya Namaskar A-5 X
  • Surya Namaskar B-5 X
  • Utkatasana
  • crescent Pose
  • standing backbend
  • utktasana
  • uttanasana
  • AMS to UMS-3X
  • prasarita paddottanasana
  • sirsasana
  • pinca mayurasana
  • handstand
  • rope 2
  • ustrasana
  • urdhva danurasana
  • kapotasana prep walking down the wall to straight arms
  • urdhva danurasana
  • handstand
  • AMS
  • uttansana
  • parsva uttanasana
  • utanasana
  • viparita karani

There were lots of folks in class and everyone worked so hard and so diligently. It was fun having Gioconda back from her travels, Amethyst was in class (a recent transplant from the Yoga Oasis gang) and Rebecca (who has recently moved here from the Los Angeles, CA kula and is working at Lulu). Mark and Hannah were in class as was Catherine so we had lots of the "old gang" plenty of the new gang like the Roberts and Gabby and some brand new friends as well!

I used one of my favorite Hafiz poems as a springboard for my theme:

Out of the Mouths of a Thousand Birds

Listen-

Listen more carefully to what is around you

Right now.

In my world

There are the bells from the clanks

Of the morning milk drums

And a wagon wheel outside my window

Just hit a bump.

Which turned into an ecstatic chorus

Of the Beloved's Name.

There is a Prayer Call

Rising up like the sun

Out of the mouths of a thousand birds.

There is an astonishing vastness

Of movement and Life

Emanating sound and light

From my folded hands

And my even quieter simple being and heart.

My dear,

Is it true that your mind

Is sometimes like a battering

Ram

Running all through the city

Shouting so madly inside and out

About the ten thousand things that do not matter?

Hafiz, too

For many years beat his head in youth

And thought himself at a great distance from and armistice

With God.

But that is why this scarred old pilgrim

Has now become such a sweet rare vintage

Who weeps and sings for you.

That is why Hafiz will forever in his verse

Play his symbol and call to you.

O listen-

Listen more carefully

To what is inside of you right now.

In my world

All that remains is the wondrous call to

Dance and prayer

Rising up like a thousand suns

Out of the mouth of a

Single bird.

Okay, time to shower up and get ready for Focus on Form. If all goes as planned today we should spend a lot of the time upside down. Yippee!

No comments: