Tuesday, October 13, 2009

So, I had a great time in Kentucky, I really did. I just loved my host and all the students who were so dedicated and focused all weekend. Yoga East is comprised of 3 yoga studios- one of which is Iyengar-y hatha, one of which is Mysore-style Ashtanga Vinyasa and one of which has a vinyasa emphasis with lots of folks trained by Cyndi Lee at Om Yoga. (This may not be exactly accurate but it is the general picture that Laura explained to me or more clearly "My understanding of the general picture...") Anyway, Laura Spaulding, the director, has been practicing and teaching for a long and her community is full of mature, dedicated and sincere students of all ages with great respect for different traditions. We had a great time exploring our similarities and differences and doing lots of yoga. It was really inspiring to me.

Anyway, I encountered a fair amount of "travel hell" on the way home from Louisville. The plane out of Kentucky was delayed by 5 hours which got us to Dallas late and meant the connecting flight to Austin would not go out until the morning. So I got into a hotel in Dallas around 1:30 am and got up at 4:45am to get back on a plane. I finally got home around 8:30am yesterday morning. It was a long journey home.

I decided to go the health club to soak in the hot tub once I returned and once there, I decided to swim which really helped move some of the stagnant energy I felt in my body from sitting and standing and waiting all those hours. I came home, made a great Ayurveda lunch for me (Spiced rice and daal) and Kelly and then did some errands and met Anne for Peggy's class, which was fantastic. Here is her sequence as I remember it.

  • paryankasana with block and arms belted- 5 minutes or more
  • adho mukha svanasana
  • surya namaskar variation with nakrasana thrown in several times
  • supta padangusthasana variations
  • eka pada supta badha konasana variations
  • uttana padasana
  • ustrasana
  • pigeon droppings to chair, to block- lots
  • ustrasana to kapotasana at wall- several
  • kapotasana- several
  • sirsasana drop overs to chair and back up from chair- lots
  • sirsasana drop overs to floor and back up- 6X
  • urdhva danurasana to dwi pada viparita dandasana with ankles belted and head down to urdhva danurasana- 3X
  • ardha matsyendrasana at wall- 2 variations
  • ardha halasana legs supported on a chair
  • savasana

I came home, made dinner and went to bed early, which I needed since I had maybe 4 hours the previous night. Today I am going to catch up on some business, start packing because I go to Corpus Christi, TX this weekend and head out to Arizona for 10 days first thing on Monday morning. So I need to be ready for Arizona when I head out to Corpus Christi.

I am teaching at Castle Hill at 4:30 so please come to class if you can.

Okay, more later!

No comments: