Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday Morning

So- I the weird thing is that I think of my Tuesday/Thursday 4:30 class as the same class but it is really rare that someone actually comes to both classes in the week! But after three strong back bending classes this week, I taught a pretty mellow forward bending class. (Maybe mellow is not quite the right word as there was a lot of groaning come to think of it!) But it occurred to me I was planning a "counter class" and most of the people in attendance hadn't been in the Tuesday or Wednesday class. Well, except Gabby who was probably relieved to not have a third day of back bends thrown at her! And Gigi had been in Tuesday's class so the Thursday class probably made sense to her as well.

Anyway- here is the sequence. We worked with lots of rooting down (into the Magnificent Earth- a line from a Hafiz poem.) and rising up.

Slow vinyasa warm up with:
anjaneyasana
virabhrasana 1
eka pada rajakapotasana
Crescent Pose
utkatasana
garudasana

prasarita padottanasana C
uttansana

sirsasana

uttasana- 2X
thigh stretches at wall -2X
urdhva prasarita eka padasana at wall -2X
eka pada supta badha konasana variations

variation on parivritta janu sirsasana
surya yantrasana

sarvangasana
supta baddha konasana
savasana

Anyway- at the Iyengar Yoga Institute in Pune (And in many Iyengar Yoga studios across the country) they teach a category of poses each week. So, for instance, the first week of the month is standing pose emphasis, the second is a forward bending emphasis, the third week is a back bending emphasis and the fourth week is a pranayama emphasis. On months with fifth weeks, I think they look at arm balances. Anyway, I got to thinking that I may start organizing my classes that way or in a similar way. I usually try to offer a variety throughout the week or in each class week to week but in general, more often than not the same people are not coming regularly enough for that to really make sense. I may try something a little different starting when I get back from my travels. We shall see.

All right. Many of you asked about the singer in the video/photo montage that I posted a few days ago. It is Lee Lozowick from The Lee Lozowick Project. You can get information about his music (And some other great bands) at www.badpoetproductions.com.

Have a great day. I head to Corpus Christi after lunch then Arizona on Monday. Like I mentioned a few days ago, you will be in great hands with Hannah and Brigitte subbing so please come support the subs, the class, yourself and one another while I am gone.

No comments: