Thursday, January 17, 2008

Good Morning!

We had a good time down here last night. We kept working with sutra 2 at 5:30 and the 5:30 Level 2 class learned vasithasana which was certainly a fun thing for most. Almost everyone got ahold of their top foot and assumed a respectable form of the pose. Earlier in the class we worked on ardha chandrasana and, as a group, we made a lot of progress on that as well. This class really seems to like a challenge as many people who were there on Monday night were still talking about urdhva danurasana. So, lots of fun to come as the poses get a bit trickier!

The beginning yoga class reviewed all that we did last week and learned some new poses like prasarita paddottanasana and anjaneyasana and I introduced the three aspects of Muscle Energy. (What are they? Repeat after me...1. hug to the bone 2. draw to the midline, 3. draw from the periphery to the core...) It was a fun class and everyone's poses improved by the end. We used the theme of anugraha and discusses the "bestowal of grace that grabs hold of us and makes us able to do what we can not do alone." Great fun.

I also issued the Beginning Series Challenge for the first time last night. And that is that anyone with perfect attendance in the Beginning Series will get a $10 off coupon for the next session. Cool, huh? Stick with it and you get a free class. Fun. Fun. Fun. I thought of this when I noticed the attrition that happens in most beginning series I teach so I really wanted to find a way to enoucrage people to stay with the class and continue on to the next level. We'll see how it goes.

And about the post about it being hard which we could all affectionately call the "No Whining, Please Post." I apologize if it seemed insensitive. I do know this is hard. Really I do. And I do know sometimes it helps to honestly acknowledge the challenge. I get that. I do. And I do know that you can acknowledge what is hard out loud to me and it is not "complaining" it is only sharing and epxressing. All that post was about is watching ourselves for when that place of "sharing and acknowledging what is" tips over into a state of mind and heart that is not trying to move past the challenge but is, instead, enamored with the challenge itself. I got a personal email in my box that made me wonder if perhaps, I had not been clear enough about what I meant. It was not an accusation in any way.

And I really was not talking about the Immersion. You guys are still beginners. You do get to complain a bit. But by session 7, 8 and 9 and by the Teacher Training, you can still complain, just not to me anymore. Deal?

All right then, carry on. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: