Sunday, December 13, 2009

Well, what to say... The days here are so packed this time through. Not only have we had long days with the Immersion all week but I have gone to a few of the classes at Yoga OAsis and sat in on some meetings which has been really great for me. I had the opportunity to go to one of Darren's Yoga Hour Mix classes and also to go to Scott's Basic's class which was great. Scott has been doing the online mentor program with me and so it was fun to see how some of those lessons transferred into his teaching and to get a chance to talk with him about his class.

We actually had that discussion the the way to Yoga Oasis East last night where I taught a public class which is part of the tradition we have established on the Immersion weeks. I teach a night over there and get a chance to enjoy being with the greater Tucson kula beyond the folks in the immersion. I love teaching at Yoga Oasis East because it is the very first place I ever taught an out of town workshop. Darren invited me to teach shortly after my book came out and so it is, in so many way, a kind of home for me. The studio is so nice, the people are so sincere, dedicated and open. I really like it.

I taught about something Carlos mentioned when he was here in October teaching the Hatha Yoga Pradipka. He said, "We are dealing with prana, with the flow of life itself. Is there anything more unstoppable than that?" So I talked about how we align with the unstoppable power of Grace and we can create boundaries and channels for it to move through so that we might harness it. We did lots of thigh stretches and hip opening and some standing pose flows. I even gave some instructions about mula bandha which was a bit out of the box, in a way. I think the class was quite sweet and fun. I really loved it.

So that was last night, after a day with Paul Muller Ortega (philosopher, holy man extraordinaire) which is kind of hard to speak about in a way. He creates such a strong chamber when he speaks that I am always aware of several lessons and teachings going on all at once. He is one of the smartest of the smart so there is this level of teaching about information where he delineates philosophy with a kind of clarity and assurance that is most impressive. Then there is the insistent call to practice and since he is such a strong practitioner that call is fairly pressing throughout. And in the intensity and clarity I find him remarkably compassionate. And I have listened to him now several times and one thing I know is that for me the best approach is always to just let the mood of the meeting just wash over me and to not try to figure it out too much. Always and every time I feel some deep inner shifts occurring when I am around him that seem tangentially related to what he is talking about but in a way, not necessarily.

Wow- now all that sounds vague, doesn't it? Anyway- we began the day on Saturday with a fun group practice that I called "one hour to eka pada raja kapotasana" which was Matt's goal pose and I am happy to report he did it on both sides and "with no pain" he said. So that is cool. We had great tunes, good energy and ended with a group sing-along to Son of a Preacher Man, which was most excellent fun.

So that was Saturday- practice, Paul, talk with Scott, Class at Yoga Oasis East. Today we were in session with Paul all day and then I got to spend some time with Rachel and Meg (who were some of my very first yoga students ever who are here at the Immersion.) It is so amazing to still be practicing together and to still be growing up together even though we do not live in the same place anymore. Rachel now holds down the fort at Prescott Yoga and Meg is raising a family and teaching yoga in Viroqua, WI and yet the bond of love is still so very strong since it was most certainly forged in the fire of yoga.

All right then. Time to get to some email. I have been a bit negligent on that front so if you have emailed me recently and I haven't written back, it is because I am behind. Soon, I hope.


No comments: