Friday, December 17, 2010

December 2010 Anusara Yoga Group Practice


So here are a few scenes from the group practice yesterday. We had a really great time. If you watch all the way to the end you will see me grabbing heels all by myself in kapotasana (and getting very excited as a result.) This has been a goal of mine for two straight years. I have been able to do the pose with help but never on my own.

So when I was in Los Angeles Todd Tesen gave me some pointers he had learned from Noah and helped me with the pose on Tuesday morning. And in practice on Thursday I got closer than ever but I could not quite get my left heel without help. So I asked the group, "Can you see anything that will help me?" And kelly said, "Maybe you should try it how Craig is doing it." So I watched Craig demo his approach (this is also on the video) and then I went back to my mat and did it (Also on film). YAY! Oh, the power of a good demo and group support.

What fun. To me, that is really what group practice is about. instead of just doing what we always do together and practicing what we already know, we get to benefit from the combined wisdom in the room and help each other go further than we would go if we were practicing alone. I mean really, we keep pretty inspiring company around here and making progress on the mat is the main reason to get together. I am not discounting other reasons such as delighting in each others company and all that, but really, group practice to me is about setting the stage for breakthroughs to happen on the mat.

and we had a really fun, hard working and dedicated (not to mention somewhat vocal at times) group joined together yesterday. Good times.

All right, I am off to teach in Florida this weekend. I will be back on Sunday night. Anne and I are scheming about a group practice on Christmas eve around 11:00 in the morning. Anyone game?


5 comments:

mandy eubanks said...

I got goosebumps watching you grab your heels! YAY! I'm down for practice on x-mas eve! The coop might be available.....do you want me to check?

mark said...

I wish. Family plans....

Marcia Tullous said...

Congrats! Sounds like a great reason to practice with others. We really should do more of that here...

Inspired,
Marcia

Svetha said...

Great work Christina! Congrats. I am in for a practice on NYE morning.

Aimee said...

Beautiful! You are radiant Christina! Thanks for sharing your joy. :)<=