Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wag More

So, Kelly and I were driving down the road on Monday to go on a walk and I saw this bumper sticker that said, "Wag More, Bark Less." I laughed and it totally made me think about yoga and how really that is the invitation of practice in a certain way. The mind - at least one aspect of the mind at any rate- barks. That is what it does. And the only way to "Wag More" is really to be more in our heart than in our head. And that is what the philosophies of Anusara Yoga tell us- we can enter into our hearts, into a deep source of delight, enjoyment and happiness (the "inner wag," so to speak and we can live from that knowledge and experience.

So that was my theme yesterday at 4:30 and at 6:30. Both classes were eka pada raja kapotasana classes and I worked with more movement than strict action to open the hips and shoulders and prepare the spine for the deep bend of it. I stayed away from lots of details and techniques and focused more on movement with the breath and full range of motion for the shoulder joint in a flow-based practice. We did lots with gomukhasana arms and pascima namakarasana and urdhva namaskarasana. And by the time we got to eka pada raja kapotasana, a lot people (in each class) got their foot behind their head for the first time ever so it must have worked!

Anyway- using that as a theme was also fun for me because it was a reminder for me to "wag more" when teaching which is a nicer place to be inside myself anyway. Okay, time to clean up and head to The Castle for Focus on Form.

2 comments:

Jeremiah Wallace said...

I had already seen this blog post and I just saw that bumper sticker yesterday when I kept telling myself to stop thinking about the kinda shit that I was thinking about. Then I looked up and saw that sticker and couldn't stop laughing for awhile.

Christina Sell said...

that is awesome.