Sunday, June 28, 2009

Home for the weekend

I am really enjoying being home this weekend. I subbed at Bodhi for Gioconda yesterday morning which was really fun. It is a vinyasa class and so it was not a "typical" class for me which made it a very nice change of pace. Although it is a bit weird for me because so many people said, "I have been wanting to take your class..." and I am like, "Well, this is not a good gauge of what that is...." But I suppose that is a different discussion. And in fact, typical has been expanding these days so who knows.

At any rate, I love Saturday morning yoga classes. For years I taught every Saturday morning. Well, I still teach almost every Saturday but I have not taught a regular, old-fashioned Saturday morning yoga class since I left Arizona. And they are just the best. It's the weekend, peoplehave made time to practice, there is a sense of relaxation since the work week is over for people, etc. Saturday morning has always been one of my favorite times to teach or to take a yoga class. Anyway- yesterday was fun- I worked with the theme of Enjoyment becoming yoga and what the source of our deepest enjoyment really is. Fun flows, hot room, sweaty people, great music, good times.

I then met up with Juan and Jon Dollar for a shceming meeting about a workshop on the Bandhas we may collaborate on. That was fun. One thing I love about being here in Austin is the depth of collegial relationships I am developing. Lunch at The Screaming Goat, talking about Ahstanga Vinyasa Yoga, Dynamic Yoga, and Anusara Yoga and how we perceive, teach and practice the bandhas is my idea of fun. (yes, I know. I am a geek. I admit it.)

Jon is probably one of the few teachers of Dynamic Yoga which is another of the Krishnamacharya lineages. Jon's teacher, Godfrey Devereux, was a long time student of BKS Iyengar and took those teachings and his experiences into an expression that is now called Dynamic Yoga. It sounds fascinating. Jon teaches at Castle Hill on Mondays at noon. I plan to check it out soon as I found him so knowledgeable, passionate, funny and insightful- just what you would want in a yoga teacher. Also he is finishing his studies at AOMA and so he also has that to offer.

I spent the afternoon in a major frenzy of house cleaning and rearranging and Kelly and I went out for a bite to eat late in the afternoon. All in all a good day.

No comments: