Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thursday Morning

Well, first, a brief plug again for the workshop this weekend that Craig and I are doing.

http://www.castlehillfitness.com/flyers/Alchemy-of-Yoga.pdf

I checked in with the front desk yesterday and there were not many people signed up so if you are planning on coming either a)Sign up! or b) send me an email and let me know you are planning to come so we can get an idea of how many folks to expect. Craig and I are pretty excited about the workshop. We are going to cover some pretty interesting ground so do come if you can.

Also, this weekend kicks off my teaching at Castle Hill Fitness Center so I am excited about that. Castle Hill has a very interesting thing going on as a state of the art fitness center with a very soild yoga program. So many times that is not the case in fitness clubs. However, let's pause and ask ourselves where did BKS Iyengar teach during one of his first visits to the United States? The Ann Arbor YMCA. Yes, a lowly YMCA hosted him, not some fancy yoga center. Of course those were the days before there were many fancy yoga centers, but I digress. And where did John Friend start teaching yoga? In a YMCA in Houston. My point is, if a gym was good enough for them.... But seriously, great yoga really exists in so many different venues. That is what is so cool about it.

So back to my schedule... starting in June, I add three classes to my weekly schedule at Castle Hill. Tuesday and Thursdays from 4:30-5:45 is a Level 2-4 class. (I am thinking that level 2-4 is a class level somewhere between the YogaYoga 4:30 hatha class and the YogaYoga 6:00 advanced class. Think medium pace, some vinyasa, some partner work, demos for teaching and refinement, working on the level 1 syllabus mostly with intelligent forays to the Level 2 and Level 3 syllabus.) Also on Wednesday mornings from 9:30-10:55 is Focus on Form which which I am really excited about since with a name like that I have free reign to explore details, modifications and progressions. (think mostly Level 1 Syllabus.)

Last nights classes were fun. We wokred a lot with arm balances in both classes. The Breath and Body class went in the direction of backbends and the Bodhi Yoga class went in the direction of some seated floor work from the same basic opening sequences. I really loved seeing some returning students at Bodhi Yoga. ANd SHeldon found me there which was great to have a familiar face in the crowd!

I worked with the theme of Fullness and Perfection or Purna. It is one of my favorite themes for so many reasons. One reason is the radical notion that perfection really does not mean that there is an absence of fault. This perspective on perfection suggests that a fullness of essence is realized. That there is a state of lacking nothing. Obviously this is the Absolute perspective. Each of us gets cloaked in certain ways where we feel inadequate, or empty and/or as though we are incomplete. But it is actually so cool because that very perception creates longing in us. We used to feel complete, now we feel a lack and so we long to feel whole again. And because of that longing we begin our search. Initially we search externally until that runs out in a variety of ways and we begin to search inside for the fullness. But really, how cool is it that the very condition of feeling lack, holds within it the seed of our greates fulfillment. LOVE THAT.

Secondly, I love working with theme of Purna because it teaches us that "perfect yoga" is realizing the fullness of your efforts and capacity. It is not about being as full as the person next to you. It is not the fullness that you think you should have, it is simply aligning with the fullness of you that is you in the moment- body, mind, heart.

Anyway- tonight is group practice at Breath and Body. I am thinking we might work with kapotasana or eka pada rajakapotasana tonight. That might be fun. Oh and there is only one or two spots left in the upcoming Immersion so if you want to come, decide now! It is an all-star cast of participants. I am pretty excited about it.

1 comment:

Jeremiah Wallace said...

First of all, I´m pissed I can´t make this workshop definitely. Because I´m all about the alchemy. Second of all, I´m slowly working on shifting the yoga program at UT´s gym... things are gonna happen there...