Monday, January 4, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Well,n it sure is great to be home. We had a whirlwind of a trip. Kelly and I headed out to Georgia on Monday and spent some time in Lavonia with Mom and Dad. The weather was cold but we went on several fun walks through the woods and got a chance to do some asana at their house and share some fun meals.

On New Year's Even we drove a few hours down the road to Columbia South Carolina to visit Stacy and her crew at City Yoga. Stacy is an incredible practitioner, teacher and overall amazing person so being with her and her gang was a lot of fun. We did a candlelight practice on Thursday night and she ended the evening with a lovely release/intention practice with mantra and meditation. We filled her awesome space with almost 60 people of all ages and abilities and had a really wonderful time together.

I remember talking to Stacy years ago and she told me, "You know, I have the greatest kula in Columbia." And the truth really is she does! So many open-hearted, generous and loving people who are all committed to each other, to the studio and to Anusara Yoga. They really welcomed me and Kelly with open arms and I must say we all laughed a lot. (Truth be told, they also groaned a lot but I suppose that happens everywhere I go.)

We did an all-levels practice on New Year's Day and an intermediate/advanced practice in the late afternoon. Here are some scenes. We are going to get a new software program soon because the music glitches are driving us both crazy. Oh well. One thing at a time, I suppose. Enjoy the pics anyway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rnp52CMPq8

Stacy is one of those fantastic representatives of Anusara Yoga who is smart, funny, compassionate, insightful, totally beautiful and dedicated to serving her community in a real and vital way. I found the work she is doing there so very inspiring and it made me really appreciate the value of local yoga communities and the hard work it takes on everyone's part to create one and keep it alive in this day and age. Really yoga studios are sanctuaries and places of refuge and when they are at their best you can feel the service they provide when you step through the door. It is a very cool thing.

After that, Kelly and I drive to New Orleans and spent Saturday night and Sunday night there. We had never been there and so it was a lot of fun to check that out. It is one of those places that really feels somewhat otherworldly. Or at least in the sense that it has so much fantastic character and charm that it really is quite unique. We ate, drank and made merry. I must say I had no idea the restaurants would be so good there.

We drove home today and got in right after dinner. Both of us were pretty darn tired- Kelly has been fighting a cold the whole time we were in New Orleans which was the only bummer of the trip. All in all it was fantastic- family, work, play all wrapped up in one week.

Lots more to write about but that is it for now. I am looking forward to teaching tomorrow and Wednesday and then it is back on a plane and off to Tucson. We start a new Immersion Cycle there on Thursday and I cannot wait to meet everyone.

1 comment:

mona yoga said...

Hello Christina; Thank you for this post. It has been rolling around in my mind since I read it. I appreciate how you link Anusara yoga to other lineages and yet also acknowledge that it is different. I am an Iyengar teacher in the process of switching to Anusara and so I appreciate how you wrote about the origins of Ansuara as sometimes I find that is not acknowledged. It helps me with questions I have about tradition and lineage and their role in yoga in general and in Anusara yoga. This was very thoughtful and has stimulated my thought process and growth. Thank you.